Jacob M. Lebowitz
Jacob (“Jake”) Lebowitz is a founding partner of Posey Lebowitz. Mr. Lebowitz specializes in civil litigation, with a focus on personal injury, civil rights, and wrongful death cases. Mr. Lebowitz also maintains an active mediation practice and leads the firm’s compliance practice. Mr. Lebowitz has been named a Washington D.C. Super Lawyer in 2016 and 2017.
Mr. Lebowitz has extensive experience in personal injury cases, ranging from wrongful death, catastrophic injury, and civil rights violations to automobile accidents and premises liability cases. Additionally, he has handled numerous serious and complex medical malpractice cases.
The following are representative examples of cases handled by Mr. Lebowitz:
- Obtained a significant award on behalf of a cyclist who suffered serious brain injuries when he was struck by a car doing an illegal u-turn in Washington, D.C.
- Obtained a sizable award after a three week medical malpractice trial in Maryland involving a pregnant mother who suffered significant injuries following child birth.
- Represented the family of a 12 year old girl who was struck in a crosswalk in Montgomery County, Maryland, resulting in serious and life threatening injuries. A sizeable recovery was achieved without filing a lawsuit.
- Represented the family of a deceased father who died from the medical negligence of an Emergency Room physician who discharged him from the hospital without properly diagnosing the source of his internal bleeding. A confidential settlement compensated the family for their unnecessary loss.
- Represented a family that was struck by a fleeing felon in a high speed car chase in Washington, D.C., resulting in devastating injuries to the family. Recovered the entire available insurance limits for the family.
- Represented a male pedestrian struck by a taxi while he was crossing Route 1 in Arlington, Virginia, resulting in a fractured leg requiring multiple surgeries and permanent disability. Recovered the full value of applicable insurance policies by negotiating a settlement without filing a lawsuit.
Mr. Lebowitz is also a seasoned mediator and arbitrator. He serves as a mediator at Multi-Door Mediation at the D.C. Superior Court and is available for private mediations and arbitrations in a number of practice areas, including personal injury cases.
Mr. Lebowitz also maintains an active compliance practice representing Whistleblowers in Foreign Corrupt Practices Act matters and advising corporations on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance. Mr. Lebowitz has advised dozens of companies on compliance with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and has designed and implemented anti-bribery compliance programs for companies all over the world.
Mr. Lebowitz was previously a senior trial attorney with the boutique firm Bode & Grenier LLP and an associate with the law firm White & Case, LLP, in Washington, D.C. Mr. Lebowitz served as a law clerk to the Honorable Chief Justice Michael Kruse and the Honorable Associate Justice Lyle Richmond of the High Court of American Samoa.